WASHINGTON — Lincoln Project co-founder George Conway called for an investigation into the organization on Tuesday in the wake of a mounting sexual harassment scandal, tweeting: “THE LYING HAS TO STOP.”
Conway sought to put distance between himself and reports that the leaders of the anti-Trump Republican PAC knew about sexual harassment allegations against ousted co-founder John Weaver as early as last June before they first emerged in media reports last month.
“An investigation is necessary. But it has to be thorough, and not a whitewash. And—THE LYING HAS TO STOP,” Conway wrote in a Tuesday tweet.
“It’s clear now that, as early last *MARCH*, the people who were in operational control of the Lincoln Project were told of Weaver’s predations. Enough is enough. LP needs to waive the NDAs and come clean,” he said.
At least three of the group’s Republican founders, including Conway, have jumped ship in the wake of the allegations and denied they knew anything about the allegations against Weaver.
On Monday, a second teenager accused Weaver of “aggressively” sexually harassing him, according to the journalist who initially broke the story.
Weaver, who worked on both of John McCain’s White House bids, stands accused of sexually harassing more than 20 young men, including former interns with the embattled Lincoln Project.
In another tweet Tuesday, Conway, who is married to former Trump White House senior counselor Kellyanne Conway, called for the organization to be shut down.
In June 2020, members of the organization’s leadership were informed in writing and in subsequent phone calls of at least 10 specific allegations of harassment against Weaver, including two involving Lincoln Project employees, Fox News reported last week.
The Lincoln Project shot to fame during the 2020 presidential race when a group of GOP strategists announced they were forming a PAC to oust Trump.
Their splashy viral ads raised more than $90 million, but the majority of those funds were funneled to groups run by the organization’s founders, raising questions about how those funds were ultimately spent.
Co-founder Steve Schmidt, who has since resigned from the board, said they would open their books but on the bizarre condition that the Trump campaign did so first.
On Saturday, the Lincoln Project’s fundraising page was shut down.